We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3724 / 51°22'20"N
Longitude: -2.3664 / 2°21'59"W
OS Eastings: 374590
OS Northings: 163773
OS Grid: ST745637
Mapcode National: GBR 0QH.VZC
Mapcode Global: VH96L.XRTR
Plus Code: 9C3V9JCM+XC
Entry Name: Queen Victoria Jubilee Water Fountain
Listing Date: 13 May 2010
Last Amended: 15 October 2010
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1395432
English Heritage Legacy ID: 510837
ID on this website: 101395432
Location: Bear Flat, Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Tagged with: Fountain
At Junction of Bloombury Road with Wellsway A367
Queen Victoria Jubilee Water Fountain
II
13/05/10
DESCRIPTION:
A drinking fountain, believed to have been erected in 1897, constructed of limestone, with elements of pink granite and grey granite. The style of the fountain is an eclectic mixture of Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque; its structure comprises a niche set within a limestone surround, with volutes supporting an ogee arch, which terminates in a fleur-de-lis crocket finial. The niche is framed by colonnettes of pink granite, with grey granite bases and limestone stiff-leaf capitals (one of these is damaged), from which rises a trefoil arch within a round-headed arch, with foliate carving to the cusps. The projecting basin is of pink granite; the grey granite tablet from which water originally issued carries inset metal lettering, reading: 'TO COMMEMORATE / QUEEN VICTORIA'S / 60 YEARS REIGN / 1837-1897'.
HISTORY:
The drinking fountain was erected in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, and to provide clean drinking water in an area undergoing expanding development. The fountain occupies a prominent position at the north end of the gardens separating the early-C19 terrace of 2-28 Bloomfield Road (q.v.) from the villas occupying this stretch of Wellsway, which were built at about the same time as the fountain; Wellsway follows the course of the former Roman Road, the Fosse Way. In the first part of the C20, a further amenity was provided in the form of subterranean public conveniences with railings, which were constructed in front of the fountain. At the time of listing (2010) the fountain has been out of use for many years.
The latter part of the C19 saw a great proliferation of public drinking fountains, erected to combat water-borne diseases and alcoholism amongst the poor. For many, it was more difficult to obtain clean drinking water than alcohol; in 1851, the magazine Punch, commenting on the Great Exhibition, observed that, 'Whoever can produce in London a glass of water fit to drink will contribute the rarest and most universally useful article in the whole exhibition'. The Metropolitan Free Drinking Fountain Association erected the first public drinking fountain in 1859, on the boundary fence of St Sephulchre's Church, Snow Hill, City of London; a fountain in a similar, Romanesque, style, appeared in Walcot Street, Bath, in 1861, and many others followed, given by philanthropic associations, and individuals. This fountain is a good example of the free, and often polychromatic, Romanesque and Gothic styles which were much favoured in the design of drinking fountains, the ecclesiastical resonances being considered suitable for an amenity associated with temperance, charity, and purity.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The drinking fountain, erected to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical interest: as a good example of a late-C19 drinking fountain, erected to promote public health, and commemorate an event of national significance
* Sculptural interest: for a design which brings considered use of decoration and materials to a primarily functional structure
* Group value: for its relationship with nearby listed buildings
Listing NGR: ST7459063773
The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1395632. This entry was removed from the List on 18th November 2015.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings