We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0151 / 52°0'54"N
Longitude: -4.2191 / 4°13'8"W
OS Eastings: 247807
OS Northings: 237516
OS Grid: SN478375
Mapcode National: GBR DL.H63C
Mapcode Global: VH3KR.TMC1
Plus Code: 9C4Q2Q8J+38
Entry Name: Old house at Perthyberllan
Listing Date: 24 June 2003
Last Amended: 24 June 2003
Grade: II
Source: Cadw
Source ID: 81244
ID on this website: 300081244
Location: Approximately 2km SSW of Llanllwni, reached by farm road on the E side of the A485.
County: Carmarthenshire
Community: Llanllwni
Community: Llanllwni
Locality: Perthyberllan
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Tagged with: Architectural structure
Dated 1784 on a rainwater head, replacing an earlier house at Perthyberllan. An outbuilding is dated 1739. The present house was visited by Richard Fenton in 1804, who described it as recently built by Mr Saunders. It remained the property of the Saunders family until 1893 when it was sold, with 165 acres, to the present owner''''s family for £3250. The house has been uninhabited since c1976 when a new dwelling was erected beside it.
A 3-storey 3-window double-pile Georgian house of coursed rubble stone with bigger quoins, slate roof on projecting eaves, and end coursed-stone stacks. A central fielded panel door has a round-headed Y-tracery overlight. Windows are under flat arches with keystones and comprise 12-pane hornless sashes in the lower 2 storeys (the middle L-hand window is boarded over), and smaller 6-pane sash windows in the upper storey (boarded over to the R-hand).
In the L gable end is a 12-pane hornless sash window lower R in the front pile. The 3-window rear has 12-pane and 6-pane outer sash windows similar to the front. In the centre are stair windows comprising a 12-pane sash to the lower landing, and former sash window lighting the upper landing cut down to create a doorway, which is reached by a ramp at the rear of the house.
In the R gable end is a blocked lower-storey window in the front pile. The rear pile has an attached integral lower 2-storey kitchen wing, of rubble stone with roughcast front, slate roof and massive and tall gable stack. In the lower storey are a replaced door to the L and 12-pane hornless sash window to the R (in poor condition at the time of inspection), under flat arches with keystones, and a later 16-pane horned sash window in the upper storey. On the outer side of the stack is an external fireplace with elliptical arch and cobbled hearth. A boarded upper-storey opening is to the L of the stack. Behind the kitchen wing is a roofless lean-to.
Not accessible at the time of inspection.
Listed, notwithstanding its deteriorating condition, as a substantial and unaltered late-C18 house.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings