Latitude: 58.9831 / 58°58'59"N
Longitude: -2.9577 / 2°57'27"W
OS Eastings: 345051
OS Northings: 1011052
OS Grid: HY450110
Mapcode National: GBR M41Z.RV3
Mapcode Global: WH7C4.JGTV
Plus Code: 9CCVX2MR+6W
Entry Name: Public Library, Laing Street, Kirkwall
Listing Name: Laing Street, Kirkwall Public Library
Listing Date: 15 March 1999
Category: B
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393114
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46003
Building Class: Cultural
Also known as: Kirkwall, Laing Street, Public Library
ID on this website: 200393114
Location: Kirkwall
County: Orkney Islands
Town: Kirkwall
Electoral Ward: Kirkwall East
Traditional County: Orkney
Tagged with: Public library
J Malcolm Baikie, 1908, with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, 3-bay, symmetrical, rectangular-plan Free Library with free-standing Doric columns supporting pedimented entrance porch; pedimented 1st floor windows, breaking eaves; pierced red clay ridge to piended roof; single storey, flat-roofed additions to right (E); single storey, flat-roofed linking bay to left (W). Squared and snecked rubble with polished sandstone ashlar dressings. Cornice course between floors; cill course to 1st floor. Stone mullions to windows. Long and short quoins.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: pedimented entrance porch at ground in bay to centre; inscription, 'Free Library' to frieze; stone steps to 2-leaf, part-glazed timber-panelled doors; large rectangular fanlight, divided horizontally; bipartite window with triangular pediment at 1st floor above. Tripartite window at ground with curved pediment over bipartite window at 1st floor in each bay flanking. Door set to left in glazed addition to right (E). Glazed addition to left (W).
2-pane timber sash and case windows; fixed timber-framed windows to right extension; steel-framed glazing to left extension with top-hung upper lights. Grey slate roof; decorative pierced red clay ridges with terminating finials; decorative, bracketed cast-iron gutters forming eaves cornice; cast-iron, square-plan downpipes with decorative attachments.
INTERIOR: modern library with timber shelves lining walls; central timber staircase to 1st floor reference rooms.
Kirkwall Library is the oldest public library in Scotland, having been established in 1683 following the donation of a collection of mostly theological books by William Baikie of Holland. The library was previously housed in the Cathedral, the Tollbooth and the Town Hall and, by the turn of the century, it had expanded to such an extent as to warrant the erection of a purpose-built library. Andrew Carnegie donated the money required, and visited Kirkwall to open it. J M Baikie had produced 2 previous designs for the Library before settling on this one which was remodelled in 1963 with local stone extensions by the County Architect, A T Jamieson. The left hand extension provides a link to Number 8 Laing Street (not listed) which houses the Kirkwall archive and photographic collections.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings