Latitude: 56.7134 / 56°42'48"N
Longitude: -2.4647 / 2°27'53"W
OS Eastings: 371649
OS Northings: 758058
OS Grid: NO716580
Mapcode National: GBR VY.F1LB
Mapcode Global: WH8RK.3JLB
Plus Code: 9C8VPG7P+84
Entry Name: St John's U.F. Church And Hall, 59 John Street, Montrose
Listing Name: John Street, Former St Luke's and St John's Church and Hall Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 11 June 1971
Category: B
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 383322
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38132
Building Class: Cultural
Also known as: St Luke's And St John's Church And Hall
Montrose, 59 John Street, St John's U.f. Church And Hall
ID on this website: 200383322
Location: Montrose
County: Angus
Town: Montrose
Electoral Ward: Montrose and District
Traditional County: Angus
Tagged with: Church building Church hall
William Smith, 1829. Hall, 1892. 2-storey, rectangular-plan, Neo-classical Church with dominating Tetrastyle Ionic portico. Fine grey sandstone ashlar to front, brown sandstone to sides, square and snecked to rear. Base course, 1st floor cill course, eaves cornice and parapet.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay entrance front. 4 Ionic columns supporting deep entablature and pediment. 2 pilasters flanking 3 architraved doorways at ground beneath portico, rectangular fanlights, 14-pane glazing, deep-set 2-leaf 6-panel doors. 3 windows centred above at 1st floor. Single bays flanking portico with window at ground and 1st floor. Bellcote on square base above and behind pediment; 4 round-arch louvred openings to each face with paired attached columns on splayed corners, cornice, and copper clad cupola with weathervane.
E ELEVATION: 5 bays, tall round-arch windows with dividing round-arch tracery and circle at head to centre 3 bays, outer bays blocked.
W ELEVATION: as E Elevation.
N ELEVATION: 3-bay end, round-arch windows with dividing tracery that to centre taller. Doorway beneath cill of window to left. Adjoining Hall to right.
Timber sash and case windows to front, 16-pane beneath portico, 24-pane in outer bays. Multi-pane glazing to round-arch windows. Grey slate platform roof.
INTERIOR: converted into offices at 2 storeys to front and along gallery level. Central space of body of church now interrupted by rooms built across gallery. Stained glass survives in round-arch windows. Marble ? columns rising through gallery.
HALL: single storey rectangular-plan building with porch and small piended section abutting N end of church. E Elevation; ashlar, round-arch window with 2 pilaster mullions and bisected by cornice forming Diocletian window. Gablehead rises to cornice and pediment with circular panel in tympanum. Porch to left with 1 window facing E and door and window in return, 2-leaf door and window in section to left set back. N Elevation; squared and snecked, 4 bays. W Elevation; gable end with recent addition adjoining.
Timber sash and case windows. Grey slate pitched roof, tall wallhead stack rising from eaves to S.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: squared and snecked, coped boundary wall to E of church on Mill Street, 5 square section capped gatepiers with wrought-iron railings to E of Hall on Mill Street.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. St John's was built as a chapel of ease for the Parish Church, it opened in January 1829's was united with St Luke's in April 1953. The last service of St John's and St Luke's was held in June 1977. Now (1998) the offices of the Montrose Review Press.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings