Latitude: 55.9485 / 55°56'54"N
Longitude: -3.1924 / 3°11'32"W
OS Eastings: 325629
OS Northings: 673472
OS Grid: NT256734
Mapcode National: GBR 8NH.V3
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.XRZ5
Plus Code: 9C7RWRX5+C2
Entry Name: Fine Art Department, Central Public Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh
Listing Name: George IV Bridge and Victoria Street, Edinburgh Central Library Fine Art Department
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Category: B
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364845
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27592
Building Class: Cultural
Also known as: Edinburgh, George Iv Bridge, Central Public Library, Fine Art Department
ID on this website: 200364845
Location: Edinburgh
County: Edinburgh
Town: Edinburgh
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Tagged with: Public library
John Henderson, 1836-7. 3-storey Baronial/Jacobean corner block, 4 bays to George IV Bridge, 5 bays to Victoria Street. Polished ashlar. Cornice to ground floor; modillioned eaves course; pierced strapwork parapet. Panelled pilaster strips to corners with stylised finials. Regularly fenestrated. Modillioned cornices to 1st floor windows; projecting cills and slim cornices with central heraldic devices to 2nd floor windows.
E (GEORGE IV BRIDGE) ELEVATION: pierced parapet with ball finials to 1st floor balcony; strap-work decoration over 1st floor windows. 2-leaf decoratively panelled timber door to outer left with small-pane glazed fanlight; projecting balcony over with sculpture group (see Notes). 2-leaf timber panelled door in 2nd bay from right.
N (VICTORIA STREET) ELEVATION: timber panelled door and glazed panels in depressed-arched surround to outer right. Blind window to centre at 1st floor.
INTERIOR: top-lit reading room at 3rd floor with kingpost roof.
Small-pane glazing; timber sash and case windows to ground and 2nd floors; top hoppers to 1st floor. Stacks in solid panels of parapet with circular cans.
B group comprises the Central Public Library (George Washington Browne, 1887-90, separately listed) and Fine Art Department (John Henderson, 1836-7). Built for Charles Lawson, printer, the building subsequently became the Highland and Agricultural Institute, headquarters of the Highland Society, an improvement society founded in 1784, and housed an agricultural museum. Sculpture group by A Handyside Ritchie: Caledonia seated on a pedestal, crowning 2 youths (a Highland reaper and a ploughboy); low relief carving on pedestal: motto SEMPER ARMIS NUNC INDUSTRIA and the coat-of-arms of the Society. George IV Bridge and Victoria Street were part of Thomas Hamilton's plan for the new Southern Approach. Hamilton was replaced as architect to the Commissioners in 1834 by George Smith. The architectural style specified by the Commissioners of the 1827 Improvement Act for the new buildings associated with the developments (including this building) was 'Old Flemish,' a variation on Scotch Baronial owing much to the detailing of Heriot's Hospital.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings