We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7778 / 55°46'40"N
Longitude: -2.3485 / 2°20'54"W
OS Eastings: 378239
OS Northings: 653887
OS Grid: NT782538
Mapcode National: GBR D11M.CN
Mapcode Global: WH8X7.W1VH
Plus Code: 9C7VQMH2+4J
Entry Name: Westwood, 44 Newtown Street, Duns
Listing Name: 44 Newtown Street with Coach House, out House, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Category: B
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363210
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26570
Building Class: Cultural
Also known as: Duns, 44 Newtown Street, Westwood
ID on this website: 200363210
Location: Duns
County: Scottish Borders
Town: Duns
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Tagged with: Villa
Early 19th century, with addition dated 1875. Symmetrical 2-storey 3-bay classical villa with later single storey and attic single bay wing to right. Droved and coursed cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings; rubble sides and rear elevations; raised margins.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: original house with base course, panelled corner pilasters and dentilled cornice with blocking course. Regular fenestration. Slightly advanced dressed ashlar central bay with blank tablet above cornice; Tuscan pilastered doorpiece at ground with cornice and blocking course; deep-set panelled door with rectangular plate-glass fanlight. Wing to E of stugged ashlar; 3 steps to panelled door at centre closely flanked by windows, with shield above bearing initials JMDC and date 1875; pedimented and pilastered ashlar wallhead dormer with flanking consoles and anthemion finial in mansard roof.
W ELEVATION: gable with blocked door at ground and window above; Edwardian stained glass to lower pane. Gatepier attached to left.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay; stair window at centre with small window above and to upper right, and door at ground; flanking bays with windows to both floors, that to right at ground blind. Later bay projecting to left with window at ground and plain dormer; door in return to right.
E ELEVATION: projecting blank harled wing with rubble gable above.
Timber sash and case windows; 4-pane to front, 12-pane to rear. Ashlar coped skews; corniced ashlar stacks, rebuilt to E; grey slates; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwaterheads.
INTERIOR: much altered.
COACH HOUSE: to W; cream stugged sandstone with polished dressings to front. Base course, cornice and blocking course; flanking pilasters frame carriage door with folding boarded and glazed doors and later RSJ lintel. Rubble side elevation (facing house) with door, window, 2-leaf barn doors and door to hay-loft above; attached gatepier to left (as pair to that on W elevation of house). Piended roof; grey slates.
OUT HOUSE: to rear; droved and stugged ashlar facing house with boarded door; rubble sides.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: coursed stugged ashlar wall to front with cushion coping; pair of gatepiers at centre with cornice and shallow pyramidal caps; similar gatepier to outer left (attached to No 46 Newtown Street which is not listed). Gatepiers between coach house and house, see above. Rubble boundary and embankment walls to rear with steps to higher ground and cast-iron railings.
Mr Cockburn's house in 1824; now contains the Jim Clark Room. Formerly called Westwood. In the 19th century there was a building attached to the E wing continuing the line of the street. Compare with Maryfield, Murray Street (see separate listing), which has very similar detailing.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings