Latitude: 53.7928 / 53°47'33"N
Longitude: -1.5529 / 1°33'10"W
OS Eastings: 429552
OS Northings: 433031
OS Grid: SE295330
Mapcode National: GBR BHN.05
Mapcode Global: WHC9D.3XTS
Plus Code: 9C5WQCVW+4V
Entry Name: Tower Works Engine House
Listing Date: 5 August 1976
Last Amended: 11 September 1996
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256245
English Heritage Legacy ID: 465094
ID on this website: 101256245
Location: Camp Field, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS11
County: Leeds
Electoral Ward/Division: City and Hunslet
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Leeds
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hunslet St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
Tagged with: House
LEEDS
SE2933SE GLOBE ROAD, Holbeck
714-1/77/841 (North side (off))
05/08/76 Tower Works Engine House
(Formerly Listed as:
LEEDS 11
GLOBE ROAD
Boilerhouse to north of the Giotto
Tower at Tower Works)
GV II
Engine house, now storage and television repair workshop.
1899. Probably by William Bakewell for TW Harding, chairman of
the Tower Works, medallions designed by Alfred Drury. Red
brick, English bond 1:3, stone gable copings, roof not
visible.
East end: tall round-arched window, lower part altered to
loading door, stone sill, foundation stone with eroded
inscription: '...T.W.HARDING ESQRE.J.P./ LORD MAYOR OF LEEDS/
(CHAIR)MAN OF THE COMPANY/ JU(NE) 25th 18(99)...' Doorway
right, brick wedge lintel. West end: round-arched recess of
glazed bricks, the infill having glazed brick bands. Right
return: 3 shallow buttresses with stone caps approx 3m high.
Contemporary ranges to south not included.
INTERIOR: remains of mosaic floor in red, black and white
abstract patterns; walls lined with cream tiles, 5 arcades to
each side decorated with brown moulded tiles to dado, impost
bands and arches; each recess contains a circular glazed
?bronze plaque with a portrait in relief of a person connected
with the manufacture of textile machinery. Lettering on
plaques in relief, right, from east end: 'T.R.HARDING/ FOUNDER
OF TOWER WORKS/ 1866; T.W.HARDING/ FIRST CHAIRMAN/ 1895; JOSUE
HEILMANN/ THE COMBING MACHINE; (obscured)/ SPINNING AND
CARDING; ...EL LAWSON/ ...LEY'S SCREW C....'. Lettering, left,
from east end: '(RICHARD) ARKWRIGHT/ (obscured);
DR.E.CARTWRIGHT/ THE (COMB)ING MACHINE; (obscured)/ (P)OWER
LOOM; (obscured)/ THE COMBING MACHINE; (obscured) THE COMBING
MACHINE'. Inserted floor, partitions and ceiling obscures
plaques, some damaged; names not visible are: Holden, Lister,
Donisthorpe amd Fairbairn.
William Bakewell was employed to design the extensions to the
works in 1899, and in 1902 produced the designs for the City
Square, the responsibility of Colonel Harding. Alfred Drury
was also commissioned by Harding to design the statues of
'Night' and 'Morn' (qqv) for the City Square, redesigned at
this time.
The building is a very fine example of the standard of
elaboration and workmanship frequently expended on the housing
for steam engines in factories and mills throughout the C19.
For historical details on the firm of TW Harding see Tower
Works Entrance range (qv).
Listing NGR: SE2955233031
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings