Latitude: 51.3598 / 51°21'35"N
Longitude: 1.445 / 1°26'42"E
OS Eastings: 639934
OS Northings: 167939
OS Grid: TR399679
Mapcode National: GBR Y1L.L62
Mapcode Global: VHMCX.029X
Plus Code: 9F339C5W+W2
Entry Name: Bleak House
Listing Date: 20 September 1974
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1239493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 417381
Also known as: Bleak House, Broadstairs
Fort House
ID on this website: 101239493
Location: Broadstairs, Thanet, Kent, CT10
County: Kent
District: Thanet
Civil Parish: Broadstairs and St. Peters
Built-Up Area: Broadstairs
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Tagged with: House
This list entry was subjec to a Minor Amendment on 23 March 2022 to correct error in description and to reformat the text to current standards
TR 3967 NE
1/98
FORT ROAD
BROADSTAIRS
Bleak House
II
The core is early C19 but this was refronted and extended in 1901. The house was originally known as 'Fort House' as it was built as the residence of the Fort Captain during the Napoleonic Wars. This was one of Charles Dickens' favourite lodging houses during the summer months and here he wrote 'David Copperfield' in 1849 and planned 'Bleak House, though the 'Bleak House' of the novel is a completely fictitious building and this building was renamed many years after the book was published.
Two to three storeys and basement brown brick. The right hand portion of three storeys is the original building. Crenellated parapet. Two altered mullioned and transomed windows with hood moulding to the older part and J mullioned and transomed windows, including a five-light bay running through two storeys to the addition of 1901. The original door to the older wing has been blocked in to form a window and the original bow window recased and crenellated. Brick porch to modern wing with crenellated parapet and arched opening with hood moulding. The interior has been arranged as a Dickens Museum. The mahogany staircase and some fireplaces are original. Grade II for Dickens associations.
Listing NGR: TR3993467939
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings