Latitude: 54.5414 / 54°32'29"N
Longitude: -1.9242 / 1°55'27"W
OS Eastings: 405000
OS Northings: 516245
OS Grid: NZ050162
Mapcode National: GBR HH0X.6S
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.D3YS
Plus Code: 9C6WG3RG+H8
Entry Name: Douglas House
Listing Date: 22 February 1973
Last Amended: 28 November 1994
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388820
ID on this website: 101201311
Location: Startforth, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
Tagged with: House
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 5 November 2021 to reformat text to current standards
NZ0516SW
770-1/6/191
BARNARD CASTLE
THE BANK (West side)
Nos.23 and 25 (Douglas House)
(Formerly Listed as: THE BANK (West side) Nos.1-17, 23-29 (Odd) and The Old Well)
22/02/73
GV
II
Inn, later two flats and public house, now shop and flat. Mid C18 with early and late C19 shop fronts, the earlier at left ex-situ. Irregular courses of squared stone with ashlar dressings; roof of stone slates with stone gable copings. Salvaged materials of various dates throughout.
EXTERIOR: three storeys; four-window range. Tooled stone surround to ex-situ six-panel door and overlight with radiating glazing bars in second bay. Inserted left shop front: Regency with entablature on slender pilasters framing threexthree panes to front and three on right return to recessed door; grid ventilator in stall riser has glass blocking. Right shop front late C19 with slender panelled pilasters and elliptical heads to central half-glazed door and flanking two-light windows; full-width entablature. Sixteen-pane sashes on upper floors, most renewed, and two-light renewed casement at top left, have tooled flat stone lintels and projecting stone sills. Second-floor windows almost square. Low-pitched roof has end chimneys. Rear shows small inserted two-light window with C16-type segmental stone heads; Gothic-style glazing bars to stair window between first and second floors.
INTERIOR: inserted ground floor ceiling at right, two spine beams at left plastered over and with added cornice. Stair first flight has winders, upper flights dogleg, with narrow handrail on re-set stick balusters and turned newels. First floor has c1800 shutters to windows; inserted C18 chimneypiece with bolection frieze, dentilled cornice and Delft tiles. Second floor has architraves to windows; three-panel door re-sited from attic of right part of house. Roof has halved pegged trusses with two levels of purlins.
Owner reports deeds say building was an inn in 1697; that there was a blacksmith in the rear in 1700, with vehicle entrance uphill in right part of the frontage, and that the building remained a public house until c1920 with two houses above. The shop front to left of facade was salvaged from a shop at the corner of Milburn Street and Hylton Road in the Millfield area of Sunderland; the door and overlight next to it came from Haggerston, Northumberland. Gazebo in rear yard constructed from salvaged materials including small stone lancet slits.
Listing NGR: NZ0500016247
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings