Latitude: 51.29 / 51°17'24"N
Longitude: -2.4479 / 2°26'52"W
OS Eastings: 368865
OS Northings: 154638
OS Grid: ST688546
Mapcode National: GBR JX.YYTQ
Mapcode Global: VH89H.JT8Y
Plus Code: 9C3V7HR2+2V
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 19 May 1950
Grade: II
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115180
English Heritage Legacy ID: 31982
ID on this website: 101115180
Location: St Nicholas's Church, Fox Hills, Bath and North East Somerset, Somerset, BA3
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Radstock
Built-Up Area: Radstock
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Tagged with: Church building
1.
5120 THE STREET
(west side)
Radstock
Parish Church of
St Nicholas
ST 6854 5/29 19.5.50
II
2.
C15 west tower and late mediaeval south wall and porch (possibly early C15).
Rest rebuilt 1879 in Geometric style, architect William Willcox of Bath. Five
bay nave with north aisle, 3 bay chancel with vestry to north. Coursed limestone
rubble with weathered buttresses. Slate roof with polychromatic bands. The
west tower is of 3 low stages, upper, crenellated, stage possibly a later addition;
outer diagonal buttresses; angled stair turret to north; cornice and corner
gargoyles; stepped and moulded plinth; west door replaced by window; Decorated
style 2 light cusped belfry windows.
South nave windows: 3 square headed Perpendicular style replacing original
windows and 2 poor geometric type (see also on north side). South porch has
C19 gable but retains late C15 doorway with canopied niche over (wild-man corbel),
barrel vault inside with quatrefoils and bosses with animals and faces.
Vestry has intricate rose window and angled chimney.
Interior: south wall retains mediaeval features, eg rood loft stair (narrow
opening) and cusped piscina. Lop-sided Norman font, a cylinder with cable-moulding.
Highly ornamental pulpit of 1888, octagonal on column with mosaics, marble
and a statue of St. Nicholas. Heavily carved oak parclose screen in Perpendicular
style to chancel arch. Stone carved 5 bay reredos of circa 1874. Good Gothick
organ in archway to north of chancel. Important fragments at west end: Roman
inscription and an early C15 rood with Virgin on reverse and churchyard cross-shaft.
Graveyard entered from north-east by 2 gate piers with blind tracery panels.
Two lightly carved early C19 head stones to right of porch (one on wall).
Two chest tombs, the one nearest the church mid-C18 with carved piers; the
other, close to south porch, to William Lansdown, (died 1793) with oval inscription
panel, angel busts and cabriole corner piers.
Listing NGR: ST6886554638
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings