Latitude: 52.3084 / 52°18'30"N
Longitude: -2.363 / 2°21'46"W
OS Eastings: 375350
OS Northings: 267869
OS Grid: SO753678
Mapcode National: GBR 0C8.9DD
Mapcode Global: VH925.074Q
Plus Code: 9C4V8J5P+9R
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 29 July 1959
Grade: II*
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1082704
English Heritage Legacy ID: 152235
ID on this website: 101082704
Location: St Michael's Church, Abberley, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6
County: Worcestershire
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Abberley
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Abberley
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Tagged with: Church building
SO 76 NE ABBERLEY CP ABBERLEY
3/9 Church of St Michael
29.7.59
GV II*
Former parish church and chancel still used for services, nave unroofed and
in ruins. C12, altered and extended C13, altered C14 and C15; chancel and
south chapel repaired 1908. Coursed rubble, the chancel and south chapel have
a plain tiled roof, brick repairs to upper part of chancel. Consists of west
tower, nave and south aisle, chancel and south chapel. The nave, tower (both
C12) and south aisle (c1260) walls are approximately 4 feet high and are capped
with a thick layer of concrete; stumps of C14 buttresses and C19 flying
buttresses outside north wall. Reset in the south aisle wall is the C12
south doorway, now badly eroded due to poor pointing: semi-circular arch of
2 moulded orders, plain tympanum with segmental intrados and chevron border
and 2 engaged shafts in the jambs. Inside the south door is a trefoil headed
piscina. The C12 north door is now inset within the blocking of the chancel
arch: also badly eroded with a single order of colonnettes, eroded captials
and zig-zag enriched arch. Fragments of east respond of late C13 south arcade.
Chancel of 2 bays, C12, extended to east in early C13. North wall has one
narrow C12 round-headed window with a deep embrasure and stepped cill, and
a twin, early C13 lancet window with stepped cills and internal hoodmoulds
with carved head stops. Three-light east window with late C13 inner jambs,
early C19 wood frame (restored 1970). West single light south window in
brick surround and with leaded Gothick glazing (probably originally as north-
east window). South chapel of c1260 with Y-tracery south window (restored)
and round-headed. west window; C19 panelled door in round-headed surround.
Interior: restored chancel roof of 5 bays with arch-braced collar beams,
ashlar posts and cusped wind-bracing, late C14 according to VCH but probably
incorporates late C15 or C16 parts. Plain aumbries in north and south walls.
Low C13 archway to south chapel, of 2 chamfered orders, the east respond has
a dog tooth impost moulding and a small engaged shaft; fragments of clerestorey
windows above. Monuments Inscribed baroque tablet of Chapman, 1690. Inscribed
marble plaque to John Basier of 1683. Walsh monument, Elizabeth died 1645 and
Ann, died 1679, marble inscribed plaque frame by 3 Ionic columns supported on
brackets, and surmounted by segmental pediment with arms. Other plain late
C18 - early C19 tablets in south chapel (BoE, 1968; VCH, Vol IV, 1979).
Listing NGR: SO7535067869
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings